Saturday, January 10, 2015

Inspiration Wednesday Week 1

I recently joined the online "Inspiration Wednesday" class.  Every other Wednesday Donna Downey will do a video for members and work in her inspiration journal.  Click the following link for more info:
http://www.donnadowney.com/online-workshops/inspiration-wednesday-2015-membership.html

Here is the page that I created using inspiration from Donna's video:






In the video, Donna uses a number stencil for the date, but I had trouble because the numbers weren't in order and I kept smearing the molding paste.  So I used my Silhouette Cameo die cutting machine to cut out the date and the Eye of Horus image.  I used the negative of the die cut and it worked perfectly! Then we used more molding paste to make the word "artist" using old fashion stencil letters.  After letting all that molding paste dry, we used paint and glazing liquid to stain the pages.  I painted on turquoise paint and Golden's Glazing Liquid, waited a few minutes, then wiped it off with a baby wipe. I dried the pages, then added a second color, a mixture of bright green and green gold, using the same method.  After the paint was dry, I used archival ink and rubbed it over the surface to enhance the raised areas a bit more.

What is the Eye of Horus, you ask?  Well, it's kinda complicated, but in a nutshell The Eye of Horus is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection, royal power and good health. Here is more information about it: 
http://www.whats-your-sign.com/eye-of-horus-meaning-and-tattoo-ideas.html
I love the image and think of it as a symbol of protection, insight, and intuitiveness.  
I enjoyed this lesson and will definitely incorporate the techniques into future projects.  I'd love to hear what you think so leave a comment below!




1 comment:

  1. I liked them both. Actually, Hot Mess is kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete